To say I love this country would be… an understatement.
I love the mystery, the vastness, the beauty - and the people.
I feel very passionately, that those looking to travel, should have a good look around. There is so much to see in our own backyard!
I’m a bit of a trivia man, with lots of (sometimes useless, sometimes handy) facts in my head.
So I thought we’d start the year with a fun little set of interesting tidbits about Australia.
Some you may know, but I’m hoping at least a couple will surprise you!
Phil’s Fun Facts
1. There are seven external territories of Australia- Ashmore and Cartier Island, Australian Antarctic Territory, Christmas Island, Cocos (Kealing) Islands, Coral Sea Islands, Heard and McDonald Island, and Norfolk Island.
2. The Great Barrier Reef is greater in size then the United Kingdom, Holland and Switzerland combined.
3. There are around 10,685 beaches in Australia - If you were to visit one beach a day it would take you over 27 years to visit them all! What a way to kill time what would be.
4. If you combined all the sails of the Opera House together, they create a perfect sphere. Next time you’re there, have a good look!
5. Anna Creek Station in South Australia is the largest cattle station in the world. It is over 34,000 square km's and is even larger than Belgium.
6. We have the longest fence in the world - the Dingo Fence, which reaches 5,614kms. It runs from Jandowae in Queensland and ending in South Australia above the Great Australian Bight.
7. Australia has the largest Monolith in the world (Uluru) and the largest Monocline (Mt Augustus).
8. The longest straight section of railway in the world is 478 km's long and crosses the Nullarbor from Perth to Sydney, via Adelaide.
9. The Snowy Mountains receive more snow than Switzerland. Unbelievable!
10. There are only 6 states in Australia, and 2 territories.
So there you have it!
Some fun facts from me to you! If you’ve got any other interesting stories or ‘did you knows’, drop me a line or pop into the office.
I love a bit of trivia!